Cranfield University Energy
Providing a sustainable, secure and affordable energy supply is fundamentally important to our lives. Cranfield is advancing the potential solutions in energy and power to ensure our future needs are met.
Cranfield’s expertise in energy and power covers a range of the potential energy solutions, from our ongoing relationship with oil and gas, to our developing reliance on renewable energy from the world around us. The changing energy landscape presents exciting opportunities and the potential for the UK to lead in new technologies and services related to low carbon energy and power generation.
We inform the energy and power industry and government because our expertise is world-renowned for both the engineering and management of energy solutions. Our research is making a difference in the sector: from increasingly efficient oil platforms to the cutting edge of renewable energy technologies.
Our postgraduate community includes around 200 MSc students from around the globe and 150 full-time doctoral students including our Renewable Energy Marine Structures (REMS) Centre for Doctoral Training with the University of Oxford. Our graduates are working in engineering and management roles across the energy industry, and putting their learning into practice.
Our expertise is supported by unique industrial scale experimental facilities across many different kinds of energy systems. These include an ocean systems laboratory, gas turbines, an anaerobic digestion plant, and high temperature coating test facilities. These make our site a wholly unique and unparalleled centre for energy research and learning.
We are making a difference and making it possible to meet the needs of our population and industry while reducing our impact on the world.
Our areas of expertise
- Renewable EnergyMinimising cost and increasing scale and efficiency in renewable energies such as wind, wave, tidal, solar, biofuels and biomass
- Biomass and WasteThe recovery of energy from waste and biomass using thermal and bio-chemical processes
- Oil and GasExploiting current and new sources of oil and gas through the development of novel solutions for exploration and transport
- Carbon Capture & StorageNew technologies and methodologies to help reduce the environmental impact of energy consumption
- Conventional & Advanced FuelsNew technologies for the efficient and clean conversion of fuels into heat and power energies
- Power Systems & TurbinesEnhancing our understanding of gas turbines for power generation and potential new opportunities for future use
- Energy and the EnvironmentThe technical considerations and environmental impact of renewable and low-carbon energy systems
- Process Systems EngineeringOptimising processes and equipment for efficient individual performance, and overall system performance
- Computational Fluid DynamicsThe development and varied applications of computational modelling of fluid flows
- Environmental ImpactsControlling emissions to atmosphere, cleaner fuels and renewable energy sources to lessen the impacts of long term environmental degradation
- Energy Asset ManagementMinimising maintenance costs and extending the service life of energy assets like pipelines and offshore oil rigs
- Computing, Simulation & ModellingOur expertise, courses and research in computing, simulation and modelling
T: +44 (0)1234 750111