Coventry University Tier 4
Coventry University Tier 4
Tier 4 Compliance
If you are an international student studying at Coventry University, you will have met a number of strict requirements set by the UK government in order to study in the UK. Coventry University wants to ensure that you are able to remain in the UK to enjoy your time and successfully complete your studies. For this to happen, both you as a student and the University as your sponsor, are required to comply with strict Home Office rules.
This is managed by the Tier 4 Compliance team, who maintain a strong partnership with Coventry University Tier 4 students to ensure continued compliance with visa requirements. The Tier 4 Compliance Team are friendly, approachable and assist students in remaining compliant with current UKVI regulations. They are located in the Student Centre and are available in Room G11 in the Student Centre between 11:00am – 4:00pm Monday to Friday.
The Tier 4 Team will ensure that students fully engage in their studies, provide advice and guidance on Tier 4 compliance matters and maintain, for each Tier 4 Student, a file containing copies of current immigration documentation.
Coventry University is obliged to act honestly and therefore must inform the UKVI of any students who do not comply with the conditions of the visa. Coventry University will do all we can to assist Tier 4 visa holders in remaining compliant with their visa regulations but it is essential that the individual student takes responsibility for their own studies, personal information and documents, keeping those documents up to date. Student’s must ensure they understand and comply with the rules of your Tier 4 leave.
Students who fail to fully adhere to visa regulations put their Tier 4 visa status at risk and continued failure may result in the University withdrawing sponsorship. Withdrawal of sponsorship will result in curtailment (cancellation) of the Tier 4 visa.
For guidance on specific areas of responsibilities required of Tier 4 students, students should refer to the Tier 4 information on the student portal or contact the at Tier4Compliance.firstname.lastname@example.org
Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS)
You are required to obtain a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) before you can apply for your visa (as a Tier 4 General Student).
The CAS will be emailed to you using the address provided in your application; this will include your CAS number and a CAS statement. This document contains all of the information required by the Home Office for generating your visa.
Please note, it is your responsibility to check the CAS statement carefully to ensure that all of the information included is accurate.
To obtain a CAS you will need to have
- Accepted your offer
- Met all of the conditions of your offer
- Paid your deposit
Once these are all complete, your CAS will normally be issued within four working days.
The Home Office states that you will need to provide certain documentation as evidence when applying for your visa. These do vary depending on where you are from, so you will need to check the Home Office website for your particular requirements.
The documents you provide will need to be in accordance with the Home Office Tier 4 Guidelines.
A visa application can take up to 3-4 weeks to process. So please apply well in advance to allow you enough time to get organised. All new students can only apply for a visa no more than 3 months before the start date of your course.
You will be requested to provide a number of documents as evidence, financial evidence as detailed by the Home Office in accordance with the Tier 4 Guidelines and original documents for the qualifications detailed on your CAS statement.
European Economic Area (EEA) Students
Depending on your nationality you may be required to obtain “entry clearance” before you will be allowed to enter the UK as a student.
Applying for a Tier 4 Visa
Students who apply for a Tier 4 visa will receive a temporary entrance vignette (sticker) in their passport which gives them 30 days to travel to the UK and go to either the Coventry University Student Centre or a Post Office (as chosen in their Visa application) to collect a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) which confirms their stay in the UK for the duration of their course.
Applying for your Tier 4 visa
1. When applying for your Tier 4 visa you will be given a choice of Post Offices from where you can collect your Biometric Residence Permit in the UK. The form will list Post Offices based on the address of your accommodation and the University address in Coventry. The most likely option presented will be:
Smithford Way, Coventry, CV1 1QX
If you are not sure, please contact email@example.com for help and more information.
You can also choose to collect your Visa from the Coventry University Student Centre.
2. If your visa application is approved, you will be issued with the following items:
- Temporary entrance vignette (sticker) in your passport – This will be valid for 30 days from the date that you entered on your visa application
- Visa approval confirmation – This will contain information about the Post Office that you have chosen to collect your BRP from or details of the Coventry University Student Centre
3. The temporary entrance vignette will expire within 30 days of the date entered on your visa application. If your vignette expires you will have to apply for a new vignette and provide your biometric information again. You will not have to submit a new Tier 4 visa application.
Upon arrival in the UK
1. You will be required to show your vignette and visa approval confirmation to the Immigration Officer when you arrive in the UK.
2. You must collect your Biometric Residence Permit from the designated Post Office or the Coventry University Student Centre within 10 days of your arrival in the UK.
- You do not need to make an appointment to collect your BRP
- If you do not collect your BRP within the 10 days you may have to pay a fine and/or your visa may be cancelled
3. If you are under the age of 18, you will need a responsible adult or a member of staff to attend the Post Office with you to collect your BRP. For assistance please contact the International Student Support team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. You are strongly advised not to travel outside of the UK until you have collected your BRP, however if you do need to travel urgently please contact the International Student Support team by emailing email@example.com.
Important: Checking your visa
When you receive your visa approval confirmation letter, please check that the following information is correct:
- Name and date of birth
- That you are a Tier 4 (general) student
- Sponsor Licence Number (SLN) of the institution that you intend to study at (Coventry University’s SLN is: BDN68KDUX)
If any of this information is incorrect, ask for it to be changed immediately before you travel to the UK. If there is no time for the error to be corrected before you travel, ask the Entry Clearance Post for advice.
If your visa ends too soon, or if your work conditions are stricter than they should be, or if you have a condition to register with the police when you should not, you can ask for these errors to be corrected before you travel. Alternatively, you can travel to the UK and then request a correction of the visa error with the help of the International Student Support team. There is a deadline for when corrections must be made.