Coventry University Qcg
Coventry University Qcg
This course starts in September 2017.
This course is offered as a PgDip or an MA (QCG Level 7) Level 6 Diploma.
The role of career guidance in our rapidly-changing economy and labour market has never been more important. The aim of this course is to provide you with opportunities to develop the relevant skills, knowledge and experience needed for offering career guidance. As well as providing you with a postgraduate qualification, the course is recognised and accredited by the Institute of Career Guidance.
This course is fully accredited by the Institute of Career Guidance, and successful completion of the Diploma also gives the QCG. We offer the MA for those who want complete a research project which will form the basis of a dissertation, we can also offer the Diploma on a more flexible basis for those wanting to combine work and study.
The course can be studied on a more flexible, distance/blended basis so that you can combine work and study. CPD opportunities are also available. Please contact the admissions team for more details.
WHY CHOOSE THIS COURSE?
- You will be trained in the theory and practice of career guidance.
- The graduates from the course have an excellent track record of employment with career guidance providers.
- The course is fully accredited by the institute of career guidance, and successful completion of the Diploma also gives the QCG.
- It is a professionally-accredited course that is widely recognised by career guidance providers.
- We offer innovative and flexible learning to suit requirements, and particularly those who want to combine work and study.
- You have the opportunity to progress to Masters level.
- You will develop your interpersonal skills.
- Get the opportunity to work with a wide variety of different people and institutions.
- Gain experience in career planning.
- Extend your knowledge of employment, education and training.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
The theory and practice of career guidance is central to the course, and you will have the opportunity to develop your interpersonal and professional skills by taking a placement in a school, college, further education or higher education institute, or a Connexions or Adult Guidance agency. The course is extremely well-connected to a wide variety of guidance providers as well as practitioners who are at the cutting edge of applied research.
- the framework for professional practice, including ethics and values,
- career guidance theory and policy, including theories of career choice and models of delivery,
- work-based learning, including input that will develop your professionalism in organisations,
- research methods (including evaluation) – a key way of ensuring the impact and relevance of the profession,
- working with clients and partnerships, including networking skills.
Applicants should hold the equivalent of a 2:2 undergraduate degree in any subject.
Applicants must show a strong interest in career guidance and be motivated to pursue a career in it. We welcome applications from individuals who have good interpersonal and communication skills, able to engage in continuous professional development and have experience of informing, advising or guiding people more generally e.g. through voluntary work.
All offers are subject to satisfactory disclosure and barring service/criminal conviction check.
Applicants whose first language is not English should have an IELTS of 6.5 overall, with no component lower than 5.5. If you don’t have the required level of English then view our range of Pre-Sessional English courses.
Please note: students must also meet the placement requirements, normally assessed by an interview during the first term of the course.
HOW TO APPLY
To find out more about how to apply, click on the Apply For This Course button above. Many of our courses offer a part-time study option. Note that the part-time mode of study is not applicable to international students, unless you hold a relevant visa – please check with the international office.
Please note: we have a range of taught postgraduate awards to suit your needs, from Postgraduate Certificate or Postgraduate Diploma to a full Master’s Degree (MA, MBA, MSc, LLM). In most cases you can decide to exit at Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma level, without carrying onto the full Master’s qualification.
How will this course enhance my career prospects?
Successful completion of the course will equip you to find employment as a guidance practitioner in the statutory services, further education and higher education institutions and the various opportunities becoming more available in the voluntary and private sector.
The course’s graduates have an excellent track record of securing employment in career guidance, such as Personal Adviser roles in Connexions, Careers Advisers in FE and HE, and Employability Development Officers in HE.
GLOBAL LEADERS PROGRAMME
To prepare students for the challenges of the global employment market and to strengthen and develop their broader personal and professional skills Coventry University has developed a unique Global Leaders Programme.
The objectives of the programme, in which postgraduate and eligible undergraduate students can participate, is to provide practical career workshops and enable participants to experience different business cultures.
Click here for further details on the Global Leaders Programme.
If you click on the Order a Prospectus button above, we will send you a printed Postgraduate Prospectus; alternatively you can download a pdf prospectus.
To find out more information about Postgraduate Study at Coventry University, including finance and funding and the benefits of further study, see our Postgraduate Study pages.