Coventry University Odp
This course runs in 2017/18.
Operating department practitioners are an important part of the operating department team working with surgeons, anaesthetists and theatre nurses to help ensure every operative procedure is as safe and effective as possible for the patient and staff.
WHY CHOOSE THIS COURSE?
This course has been designed to incorporate specialist environments in the clinical theatre placements (cardiac, neurology and obstetrics) to provide you with insight from these valuable learning experiences.
If you choose this course you may benefit from:
- a chance to register with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC). For more information please see the HCPC website at: www.hpc-uk.org;
- the opportunity to spend a significant amount of time at local hospitals, in both theatres and accident and emergency departments, putting your current theory into practice in supervised clinical placements;
- access to lecturers who have extensive work experience in the operating theatre environment – as either a Registered Operating Department Practitioner or a Registered Nurse – which they bring into their teaching;
- links with employers including local National Health Service (NHS) trusts: University Hospital Coventry and Warwick NHS Trust, George Eliot Hospital NHS Trust, Hospital of St. Cross Rugby NHS Trust, South Warwickshire Foundation Trust, Warwickshire Nuffield Hospital and BMI Meriden Coventry;
- access to a mock theatre environment to link theory to practice and provide you with simulated learning experiences, to enhance learning and reduce anxiety when entering the clinical placement. Specialised lifelike manikins are also used for simulated learning;
- lectures from specialist practitioners, such as Operating Department Practitioners, Nurses, Midwives, Children’s Nurses and Anaesthetists.