Cardiff University Redeployment
Redeployment Procedures and Guidelines on Pay Protection
- Staff with 12 months or more service whose posts are at risk of redundancy will be eligible for redeployment unless subject to particular statutory immigration provisions. If staff are unsure of eligibility they should contact their Human Resources Manager for advice.
- Staff may also be eligible for redeployment if, due to a disability, they are unable to continue in their present post. In addition staff who are on maternity leave are entitled to be considered for redeployment. In these circumstances the Human Resources Division will confirm in writing their eligibility for redeployment. The law requires that priority be given to redeployees on the basis of maternity leave or disability.
- Staff will be eligible for redeployment opportunities for posts of equivalent or lower grades. Staff may wish to apply for posts of a higher grade but must do so under the normal recruitment processes.
- The University will write to all eligible staff six months prior to their potential contract or funding end date to invite them to submit their details to the University’s redeployment register. Unless they have been provided with notice of the redundancy at an earlier date. This letter may be sent prior to any meeting within the School and prior to any decision being taken in respect of the post. The purpose of offering the potential for redeployment at this time will be to provide the potentially affected member of staff the opportunity to access suitable alternative employment at the earliest opportunity.
- If after the meeting with the School it is determined that the member of staff’s post/funding is being extended then they are not at risk of redundancy and will no longer be eligible for redeployment. Any applications already in the redeployment system will be automatically withdrawn and the individual’s details removed from the redeployment register.
- The University is committed to seeking to provide suitable alternative employment for staff potentially being made redundant but this may not be achieved through an exact match. All staff involved in the redeployment process should remain flexible and open to new opportunities specifically in terms of the role, the location and working environment of posts on offer.
- Eligible members of staff will be placed on the University’s Redeployment Register which will be maintained by the Human Resources Division. Staff will complete the Redeployment Skills Profile which will include their current grade, redeployment ID number, current School/Directorate, current job title, qualifications, skills summary and brief details of preferred roles.
- Prior to advertising vacancies, recruiters will be expected to consider all staff on the Redeployment Register to determine those who may satisfy the essential selection criteria for interview, or those who could satisfy these criteria with reasonable retraining. Advice on reasonable training may be obtained from the Human Resources Division and will be specific to the requirements of the individual/post.
S:\CORPS\HUMRS\IT and Recruitment\IT Team\SLW\Website\HR Webpages Docs\Redeployment\Redeployment Procedures and Guidelines on Pay Protection.doc