Cardiff University Interruption of Study

Cardiff University logo

Cardiff University Interruption of Study

Cardiff University Interruption of Study, Interuption of study is the term the University uses if you have absent with authorisation for more than 10 consecutive study days. The University does not normally allow an Interruption of Study for more than 12 months.

Initially, if you are considering an Interruption of Study, you should speak to your School (personal tutor or course director or your supervisor if you are a postgraduate research student). An Interruption of Study can only be granted on certain grounds and you need to provide relevant supporting evidence. There are certain restrictions on when you can apply for Interruption of Study depending on what year of your course you are on.

A Student Advice adviser can explain the different grounds for Interruption of Study and what supporting evidence would be appropriate to support your application.

You can make a request for an Interruption of Study via SIMS. It then must be authorised by your Head of School and you will be notified by Registry of the outcome. If your request is rejected, you have 10 days to submit an appeal. A Student Advice adviser can advise you on how to make an appeal if you are unsuccessful.