Cardiff University Hospital
University Hospital of Wales (Welsh: Ysbyty Athrofaol Cymru) (UHW) is a major 1000-bed hospital in the Heath district of Cardiff, Wales. UHW is a teaching hospital of Cardiff University School of Medicine. Construction started in 1963 with the official opening in 1971. It was Europe’s first fully integrated hospital and medical school at a cost of £22 million. The hospital is the third largest University Hospital in the UK and the largest hospital in Wales. The hospital was previously part of Cardiff & Vale NHS Trust. In 2009 the Trust was dissolved and the hospital is now operated by Cardiff and Vale University Health Board
Our Mission and Vision
Shaping Our Future Wellbeing Strategy 2015 – 2025
Main Hospital Building
Telephone: 029 2074 7747
The Main Hospital Building is located off Central Way at Heath Park Campus. There are two entrances to the concourse, one vehicular entrance accessed from the Gateway Circus roundabout, with drop off/pick up points and a taxi rank outside an accessible entrance. The second accessible entrance is accessed from The Gateway via paths through a grassed area.
The are several lifts and accessible toilets throughout the Main Hospital Building. There are two accessible refectories on the lower and upper ground floors.