Cardiff University Chemistry
Our internationally recognised research and education is focused on tackling the important scientific challenges of the 21st century.
We provide an outstanding and stimulating environment for chemical research and education. Our excellent reputation in modern chemical science attracts over 250 students from around the world every year:
- 180+ students to undergraduate MChem and BSc programmes
- 30 students to MSc programmes
- 45 to postgraduate research
Research and teaching is led by a dedicated team of academic staff with support from more than 80 postdoctoral and other staff. Our staff also engage in a range of community programmes, involving schools outreach, public awareness and encouraging young learners.
Our collaborations with international companies help our research achieve global impact and create industrial opportunities for our students.
- In the REF 2014 research assessment exercise we were ranked 9th in the UK and all of our research output was rated at least internationally recognised, with more than 95% ranked internationally excellent or world-leading.
- In 2012, 89% of our graduates were in employment or further study within six months of graduation, and this high proportion has continued in recent years.
- In 2016, the School was awarded the first prestigious Regius Professorship in Wales by Her Majesty The Queen in recognition for a long track record of exceptionally high quality research and teaching and its role in driving growth and improving productivity in the UK. Our Regius Professor is Professor Graham Hutchings, Director of the Cardiff Catalysis Institute.
With an investment of over £14 million in recent years, our extensive facilities enable research in all branches of core and interdisciplinary chemistry.
We are home to the recently established Cardiff Catalysis Institute (CCI), a University-supported initiative to establish an internationally leading centre of excellence for catalysis within the UK.
Our laboratory spaces have also been recently renovated to create a thriving research atmosphere for major new initiatives in Chemical Biology, Structural Chemistry, Nanoscience, Catalysis, Physical and Organic Chemistry.
Equality and diversity
We are committed to promoting equality and diversity in all of our practices and activities.