Cardiff University Application
How to apply
Follow the steps below for a guide to the postgraduate application process.
1. Choose your course or research area
- Look for a taught course or research area on Course Finder
- Check whether there is an application deadline
- Make sure you meet all the entry requirements
- Check the fees (they vary depending on course) and living costs
- If you are applying for a postgraduate research degree only, then contact the relevant School to discuss your research proposal
Please note that funded research projects have their own application instructions that may differ from the standard postgraduate process.
2. Gather supporting documents
You will need to provide:
- Exam results (copies of original certificates or transcripts and English translations, if necessary, to prove you have the qualifications listed on your application form)
- Two references (usually at least one from a recent lecturer or professor) – download and fill out our Referee report form
- Personal statement
- Research proposal (for research students who are not applying for listed projects)
- English Language certificates (for applicants whose first language is not English) – see our English Language requirements
Documents can be uploaded as:
- Word documents (.doc or .docx)
- JPEG images (.jpeg or .jpg).
The maximum file size is 1,024Kb.
If you don’t yet have all the evidence required, you can still apply and upload your supporting documents when they become available.
3. Look into potential funding options
Visit our postgraduate funding pages to see what’s available. You cannot normally apply for funding until you have an offer to study, so it’s important to apply for your chosen programme as early as possible to make time for funding applications.
We welcome applications from all students with the potential to succeed at this university.
We are seeking to admit students whose potential to benefit from our research-led learning and teaching can be demonstrated through a range of qualifications and achievements.