Cardiff Metropolitan University Student Jobs

Cardiff Metropolitan University logo

Cardiff Metropolitan University Student Jobs

Cardiff Metropolitan University Student Jobs

Can I work during my studies?

Students who are permitted to work in the UK will have a statement printed onto their visas or on their Biometric cards to state that employment in the UK is restricted. For example, it may state:

  • “No recourse to public funds Work (and any changes) must be authorised”
  • “Able to work as authorised by the Secretary of State”
  • “Restricted work in term-time”
  • “Work 20 hrs max in term-time”
  • “Work 10 hours max in term-time”

Students who are not allowed to work whilst they are in the UK are given a prohibition stamp in their passport or on their Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) . For example:

  • ‘No work or recourse to public funds’

If you believe that you should have permission to work in the UK during your studies but you have a prohibition stamp in your passport or on your BRP, please contact advice.

For more information about if you can work in the UK on your Tier 4 visa please see section 318 to 330 of the Tier 4 Policy Guidance. You can also find further useful information on the UKCISA website.

How many hours am I permitted to work?

Students who have permission to work in the UK are restricted to working a maximum number of hours during term time.

Students studying on a course above degree level (e.g. undergraduate degree, postgraduate degree, PhD etc) and those studying on Foundation Degree courses and some HND courses are permitted to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during term-time. During the official university vacations, students can work full-time (unlimited) hours.

Students studying on courses below degree level (e.g. Foundation, pre-sessional courses, some HND courses etc) are permitted to work only 10 hours per week during term-time, however during the official university vacations, these students can also work full-time (unlimited) hours.