Brunel university london english requirements

Brunel university london english requirements

Brunel University London logo


All courses at Brunel have an English language requirement. This is listed on the relevant course page under ‘entry criteria’. All international students must show evidence that they meet the English requirement for their course of study. This applies even if English is the native language of your home country. If this is the case, a pass at high school level which is equivalent to GCSE Grade C or above is sometimes acceptable. Please see the relevant country page for more information. If you need an English test, we recommend booking one early as there can be a long wait in some areas. You can also take our Brunel English Language Test (BrunELT). If you don’t see your test listed here then please contact us.

What level of English do I need?
In general, our courses ask for an English level of between IELTS 6.0 and 7.0 or equivalent.Some courses will have higher requirements (and will require you to also reach minimum sub-scores), so please check the course page for the exact level.

What English Qualifications does Brunel accept?
English qualifications we currently accept include the following Exam boards. We accept a wide range of other qualifications, so if you are unsure please get in touch with us on

What English Qualifications do I need if I wish to study English at Brunel before my degree course? 
To obtain a Tier 4 Visa for an English course, you need to have a minimum of IELTS 4 in each subscore from an approved test centre or a minimum of Trinity Level I. Please contact us for further information.

We accept the following English Qualifications: Pre-sessional English Only Pre-sessional English/LBIC Foundation Only Pre-sessional English/LBIC/Direct Entry
IELTS IELTS 4 to 5 5.5 6 6.5 7
(Minimum 4 in all subscores) (Minimum 5.5 in all subscores) (Minimum 5.5 in all subscores) (Minimum 6.0 in all subscores) (Minimum 6.0 in all subscores)
Trinity ISE Level I (1) Level II (2) Level III (3) Level III (3) Level IV (4)
BrunELT (Brunel English Language Test) Contact Brunel Language Centre 60% 65% 70%
Minimum 55% Minimum 60% Minimum 60%
Pearson (PTE)  51 (min 51 in all subscores) 58 (min 51 in all subscores)  64 (min 59 in all subscores)
Cambridge ESOL Contact Brunel Language Centre CAE: Grade C  CPE: Grade C or CAE: Grade B
International GCSE Grade C Grade C  Grade C
International Baccalaureate (Standard Level) 5 5  5
International Baccalaureate (Higher Level) 4 4  4
MELAB 83% or above 90% or above  90% or above
Michigan English Test – Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English Pass Honours  Honours
TOEFL iBT 79 92  (min 20 PG) 100 (min 20 PG & UG)


Brunel university london english requirements

     I wish to take an IELTS test. I have heard that there are going to be many changes to IELTS test centres across the world. Where should I take my IELTS test?

If you need to study English before studying for your degree and you do not have a valid IELTS taken before April 6 2015, you MUST sit a new version of the IELTS test that is called the ‘IELTS test for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) purposes’. This is because you will only be able to apply for a Tier 4 student visa for a Pre-sessional English course if you hold an ‘IELTS for UKVI’ from a UKVI approved test centre. To book a UKVI recognised IELTS at a UKVI approved centre, visit and select a country under: Applying for a UK visa? Find a test.

    Please note: some IELTS centres run both kinds of Academic IELTS so you must make sure you book the UKVI recognised Academic IELTS called ‘IELTS test for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) purposes’.

If you do NOT need to study English, the University can still accept the non-approved IELTS (with the required scores) taken at any official test centre. However, should you not achieve the required scores for your degree course, you will NOT be able to use this IELTS for an English course in the UK .

    What if I have not met the requirements, or not taken a test?

If you do not meet the English Language requirements, you can take one of our English Pre-Sessional Courses.

If you have not taken a test yet, you can take our BrunELT.