British School of Osteopathy University
The BSO Clinic is the largest osteopathic teaching clinic in the UK, delivering osteopathic treatment in the heart of London at a fraction of the cost of private practitioners.
All appointments, with the exception of our Associates, Children’s and Demonstration clinics are delivered by senior students of the BSO, under the supervision of qualified, highly experienced tutors, to ensure that diagnosis is safe and effective for patients.
We are committed to providing osteopathic health care for all and work with a wide variety of patients, including those suffering with general aches and pains, sports injuries, expectant mothers, children, older people and persistent pain sufferers. Find our more about what we may be able to help with and the specialist clinics we run.
We also run a number of clinics within the community for patients living with HIV and AIDS, homeless people, elderly and young residents and NHS patients. Much of our care for vulnerable and disadvantaged groups is delivered free of charge. Find out more about our community clinics.
The school was first founded in 1917 by John Martin Littlejohn (pictured). Littlejohn had formerly studied with the founder of osteopathy, Andrew Taylor Still, in the US, and wanted to form a school in the UK to ‘set up a standard of osteopathic science,
to show the public what the science is and clinically to demonstrate its efficiency’. He served as Dean of the School for 40 years.
From its origins as a small school delivering basic professional training and graduating its first handful of students in 1925, the school has undertaken an incredible journey over the past 100 years.
It has relocated three times to accommodate growing numbers of students and patients, most recently to its current location on bustling Borough High Street in 1998. The building was officially opened by HRH The Princess Royal, who has
been a patron of the school from 1984, and continues to attend every student graduation ceremony to this day. Ten years later, the BSO opened its new, state-of-the-art clinic just a short walk away on Southwark Bridge Road. Over the years the School has continually developed its academic provision, introducing degree courses and diplomas at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. These were initially validated by the CNAA then the Open University, and finally, from 2004 – 2016, by the University of Bedfordshire (formerly University of Luton).