BPP University GDL
Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL)
BPP University GDL , The Graduate Diploma in Law is sometimes referred to as the conversion course for non-law graduates who want to qualify as either Solicitors or Barristers. The GDL satisfies the professional body requirements of the academic stage of training for Solicitors and Barristers.
It is a highly flexible programme which you can convert into an LLB (Hons) Degree at no extra cost by studying our Graduate LLB (Hons) once you have completed the GDL. In addition, we run a bespoke lecture series (GDL Extra) and several skills workshops (GDL Skills in Practice) which we have developed in conjunction with some of the leading city law firms. All of these additional programmes are designed to fit seamlessly with your GDL studies, preparing you for practice, helping you polish your performance and boost your prospects.
We are a highly respected law school and provide legal training exclusively to over 60 leading law firms because of the professional relevance of our education and the high quality of our teaching, facilities and learning materials.
The Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) is awarded by BPP University.
Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Leeds, Liverpool, London Waterloo, Manchester and online.
|Study Options||Duration||Start date|
|Full-time and part-time||
18 months – two-years, part-time
|September, January and April|
|Modes of study||Assessment|
|Face-to-face, Online (via Online Classroom Live)||Examinations, computer-based assessments and independent research essay|
|How to apply|
|Applications for the full-time GDL must be made online through the Central Applications Board (CAB).
For our part-time GDL you apply direct to BPP University using the part time application form.
|*Subject to demand. Please note programmes/modes may not run at all locations.
^ Further details of eligibility requirements, interest rates and other key terms of the loan are available by visiting the Future Finance website. BPP University Limited acts as a credit broker and is not a lender for this arrangement.
The BPP University Graduate Diploma in Law is right for you if you:
- Are a non-law graduate
- Are an overseas law graduate
- Have a non-qualifying law degree
- Are a non-graduate with significant managerial experience
If you are a UK graduate, you’ll need a minimum 2:2 honours degree (or equivalent) in any subject from a recognised UK institution. You are guaranteed a place if your honours degree is a 2:1 or above. Students without a 2:2 honours degree from the UK or Republic of Ireland are required to evidence that they meet the academic entrance requirements of the relevant professional body. This includes applicants with overseas degrees or mature students without an undergraduate degree. Intending solicitors should contact our Admissions Team on for assistance. Intending barristers should contact the Bar Standards Board directly at barstandardsboard.org.uk.
Non-EU international students
We welcome students from all over the world. For our GDL programme you will need:
- Evidence that you meet the academic entrance requirements of the relevant professional body. This includes applicants with overseas degrees or mature students without an undergraduate degree. Intending solicitors should contact our Admissions Team for assistance. Intending barristers should contact the Bar Standards Board directly at barstandardsboard.org.uk
- If you have completed a degree outside the UK and you do not come from a ‘majority English Speaking Country’ an IELTS level 6.5 score or equivalent, with a minimum of 6.0 in each area.
Once you are accepted on the programme, we are able to offer specialist support for arranging visas and other matters.
If you do not hold an undergraduate degree
To apply for a place on the GDL request a call back
To find out more about whether you may be eligible on the basis of your professional experience you can:
- visit the SRA website
- call the SRA on 03331 224 359 or email email@example.com
- contact the BSB
How to apply
We recommend you apply as soon as you’re ready – priority is given to applicants who have placed BPP University as their first choice.
- Applications for the full-time GDL must be made online through the Central Applications Board (CAB).
- For our part-time GDL you apply direct to BPP University using the part time application form
If you have any questions about your application you can contact Admissions or request a call back
Students studying on the GDL may be eligible for exemption from certain modules on the programme depending on their previous studies. Typically, students who qualify for exemptions have studied equivalent law modules in their undergraduate degree in England and Wales, although exemptions can be earned from other sources including:
- Undergraduate law degrees from jurisdictions where the law is the same or sufficiently similar e.g.: Scotland, Republic of Ireland and Commonwealth countries
- Postgraduate degrees
- Chartered Institute of Legal Executives Level 6 modules
If you have already secured exemptions before commencing the GDL, you do not need to make a further application once you commence the course. You do need to produce confirmation of the exemptions granted to the Student Records team, either on registration or as soon as possible thereafter.
If you are seeking exemption from BPP University, please be aware that the procedure is different depending on whether you intend to qualify as a solicitor or barrister. Please let the Admissions Team know if you intend to apply for an exemption so that they can advise you accordingly.
Call us now
0333 122 6841