Bournemouth University Vice Chancellor
He took on the roles of Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Resources) from May 2008, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Education and Professional Practice) from April 2009 and Acting Deputy Vice-Chancellor from April 2010.
An engineering graduate with a First Class degree in Mechanical Engineering, John has gained several years’ experience in industry, ranging from shipbuilding to satellite design.
He is a Chartered Engineer, a Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and a member of the Institution’s Academic Standards Panel.
Starting his HE career at Coventry University as a lecturer in 1991, John moved to the University of the West of England (UWE) in 1992, where his roles included:
- Dean of the Faculty of Computing, Engineering & Mathematical Sciences from 2005-06
- Associate Dean with specific responsibility for quality, academic operations and resources from 2003-05
- Head of School of Mechanical, Manufacturing & Aerospace Engineering from 2001-03
- Head of Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering from 1997-2001
- Director of the Bristol Aerospace Consortium from 2003-06.
In 2001, he completed a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education and has subsequently led a number of transformational projects across a range of academic areas.
He has a sound track record in research, focusing on computational mechanics and enterprise activity, with a specific focus on professional practice for the aerospace sector.
He has published his work widely, including the Journal of Strain, the Journal of Renewable Energy and the International Journal of Prosthetics and Orthotics.