Bournemouth University Japanese

bournemouth university logo

Bournemouth University Japanese

We have a large community of international students at BU – currently just over 2,000 students from around 100 different countries and regions. At the moment, we have 11 students from Japan studying with us.We are always happy to welcome new Japanese students onto our undergraduate, postgraduate, research and top-up courses.

We will help you with your application to study at BU, or you can speak to one of our representatives in Japan who can offer assistance with your application. If you’d like more general advice about the UK education system, visas, scholarships or the variety of courses on offer, you should contact the British Council in Japan

Entry requirements for Japanese students

This is a guide to the normal entry requirements, assuming you’ve followed the Japanese education system. An admissions tutor will study your application, so make sure you include your academic background and personal information when you apply.Entry requirements vary depending on what sort of course you’re coming to BU to study.

  • BU International College Foundation Certificates
    You can undertake a Foundation Certificate before going on to an undergraduate course if you have successfully completed 12 years of schooling in Japan and achieved a minimum of IELTS (Academic) 5.0.
  • Undergraduate courses
    You can apply to study a Bachelor’s degree from year one if you hold a Senmonshi (Technical Associate degree) or a Jungakushi (Associate degree). If you have a Kotogakko Sotsugyo Shomeisho (Upper Secondary School Leaving Certificate), you will usually need to complete a one-year foundation programme, such as a BU International College Foundation Certificate, before you can begin an undergraduate course.
  • Postgraduate courses
    You need to have a Gakushi (First degree) in a required subject, or be applying for a Master’s that has no subject restrictions, if you want to study a postgraduate taught course with BU.
  • Research programmes
    You need a Master’s degree (Shushi) to be considered for a BU research programme.

You can find more information about English language requirements for entry to BU on our English language requirements page.

If you need help with your visa or want more information about the immigration process, you can find it on our immigration information page.