Bishop Grosseteste University College
We’ve been here in the historic heart of Lincoln for over 150 years, a beautifully green and pleasant campus just a few minutes walk from Lincoln Cathedral, Castle and the old Roman city. We’ve seen a lot of things come and go in that time, but we’ve never stopped providing first-class education, turning out graduates of the highest calibre who go out into the world and change people’s lives for the better.
We began life in 1862 as an Anglican teacher training college for women. To mark our centenary in 1962, our name was changed to Bishop Grosseteste College in honour of Robert Grosseteste, the thirteenth century scientist, philosopher, educator, and Bishop of Lincoln.
Subsequent name changes in 2006 and 2012 saw our name changed to Bishop Grosseteste University College Lincoln, before we finally became Bishop Grosseteste University.
Bishop Grosseteste University is committed to being a leader in learning, to inspire excellence, and to enrich the lives of its students and staff and the communities it serves.
Inspired by the University’s Church of England foundation our mission is to:
- Excel at teaching, learning and research
- Enable all students to achieve in the highest possible standard in their chosen field of study
- Provide life‑enriching opportunities for our students
- Recognise aspiration and achievements and provide opportunities for self‑development
- Foster an ethos in which individuals are valued and diversity is celebrated
- Develop productive partnerships to extend and deepen our external contribution regionally, nationally and internationally
- We aim to be an inclusive community which fosters an ethos of mutual respect, trust and care
- We seek to take an ethical approach to all activity and policy‑making
- We recognise the place of faith within the human experience and provide for its practice, nurture and exploration
- We believe in education, learning and the facilitation of personal development, placing high value upon the academic quality of the courses we offer
- We want to make a positive impact on the societies in which we live and work and this includes supporting sustainable development and fairtrade
We are for life in all its fullness:
- Valuing Faith
- Creating Community
- Inspiring Trust
- Informing Conscience
- Attaining Wisdom