Birmingham City University Textiles
Our BA (Hons) Textile Design course gives you the opportunity to experience broad textile specialist skills combined with design and industry awareness. You will be guided and encouraged by an experienced teaching team engaged in textiles practice, helping you to explore your ambitions and skills, testing career aspirations in five focused teaching pathways, which will prepare you for graduation and beyond.
What’s covered in the course?
We work with you during studio sessions in a variety of ways and you will be supported by a highly skilled technical team who manage the workshops and deliver technical demonstrations. Your timetables enable you to manage self-directed study resourcefully in relation to module deadlines.
With no house style we encourage you to embrace digital technology and traditional craft skills to enable your creativity, personal talents and professional awareness to be developed throughout the course in relation to career ambitions.
Our unique Next Step module prepares you and your graduate profile to bridge the gap between study and industry, whether as a designer maker, a trend Consultant, visual merchandiser, studio designer or in another relevant role.
On successful completion of the degree you will be awarded a BA (Hons) in Textile Design: Cross-Disciplinary Practice.
“Throughout the course we’ve learnt a variety of skills both creative and transferable. To open our minds and really ‘think outside the box’ is at the heart of our design work. Through our placements we undertook on the course, we have become more prepared and experienced and ready to adapt to working life and to reach the highest level of professionalism we wouldn’t have acheived otherwise.” Holly Lloyd Williams, Kerry Jaldevi, Pirintha Jeyarajah
Why Choose Us?
- Our graduates have taken up employment across the globe, working with leading companies such as Alexander McQueen, Liberty, Paperchase, Osborne & Little, John Lewis and many more.
- Work alongside award-winning academics and practitioners, who have exhibited at leading design shows and will share their extensive experience to help you achieve your ambitions.
- Belong in our creative community working with highly experienced academics and practitioners – award winners and exhibitors at leading design shows – who share their experiences to help you learn and achieve your ambitions.
- Not only follow trends, but help to shape them as live briefs put you in touch with leaders in the field.
- Benefit from our industry networks enabling you to work on exciting ‘extra-curricular’ projects, enabling you to grow your CV from your first year.
- Study support, tutorial access and technical training exists throughout the modules, ready for you to access it when you need it.
- The combination of workshop practice, exploring digital technology and traditional craft skills enables you to develop a personal and professionally relevant portfolio.
* Please note this course has changed name for 2017/18. The KIS data below relates to the previous course title.