Birmingham City University Radiography
You will develop specialist skills at the university by accessing our well-equipped X-ray room, Wards, Operating Theatre, Image viewing facilities and Virtual Body projection system. These skills will be honed by regular Clinical placements within a variety of Imaging departments.
What’s covered in the course?
Your academic studies include subjects which form the core of diagnostic radiography practice and include the study of human anatomy and physiology, radiation physics and imaging technology. You will also study the social and psychological aspects of the needs of patients.
As you advance your knowledge of diagnostic radiography practice and the application of imaging technology to differing pathologies, you will develop analytical skills and will explore the research evidence that forms the basis of current and emergent practices.
In your final year you will develop your skills of applying research strategies to health and care practice, and will consolidate your clinical skills and knowledge that are necessary for your transition to registered practitioner status.
At least 50% of your time will be spent in clinical practice where you will develop the necessary practical skills and expertise that enable you to demonstrate radiographic practice, in a safe and competent manner.
“If we weren’t radiographers we would be detectives, our job is to find out what is going on… I was x-raying patients from the first hour of my first day.” Adam Robinson
Why Choose Us?
- We are the largest training centre for diagnostic radiography in the Midlands region
- Established links with NHS Trusts with whom we work in partnership
- We focus on the student, and provide a friendly, supportive environment so all our students get the most out of their time here
- Employment rates following graduation are consistently above 90% for diagnostic radiography graduates, with approximately two-thirds of qualifying students choosing to take up employment within the region.
- BSc (Hons) Radiotherapy
- BSc (Hons) Medical Ultrasound