birmingham city university part 3 architecture
Successful completion of the programme gives you recognition for RIBA Part 3, registration with the Architects Registration Board, direct access to title as an architect and therefore gain membership of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA).
There are two separate entry and completion points per year, providing a flexible approach to obtaining the final professional qualification. Intensive two-day lecture and workshop sessions are supported by weekend revision and study groups, which allow the programme to be delivered harmoniously alongside your existing work commitments.
What’s covered in the course?
Aimed at students engaged in architectural practice, this postgraduate course gives you the skills and knowledge to gain your qualification. It can also form the basis of your ongoing professional architectural development.
You’ll gain a critical understanding of legal requirements, practice management and construction procurement in the architecture industry, and the fundamentals of good architectural practice.
You’ll receive the support of outstanding professional staff whose extensive connections with architectural practices offer you exceptional opportunities. Lectures are delivered in four two-day intensive courses by a number of leading practitioners and experts in their field. They cover the legal framework, clients and building procurement, as well as practice and management.
Based on your own experience in architectural practice, you’ll be required to prepare a case study in two parts, one around a pre-contract issue and one around an issue arising during the construction phase of a contract. You’ll also use records of experience to develop a critical career appraisal.
You’ll be based in our multi-million pound City Centre Campus Parkside Building with access to advanced digital studios for rapid prototyping and digital production, as well as drawing, CAD and digital visual communication skills workshops.
Why Choose Us?
- We are the only Royal Institute of British Architects-accredited School of Architecture for the Part 3 course in the region.
- The course meets and exceeds the joint criteria set out by the Architects Registration Board (ARB) and RIBA. Its scope corresponds with the guidelines for RIBA validation and ARB prescription.
- The course also meets the requirements of Article 46 of the European Directive on the recognition of Professional Qualifications.
- Birmingham School of Architecture and Design is highly respected and has a rich history of providing education and opportunities. It celebrated its centenary in 2009.
- Many students have degrees from other UK academic institutions for architecture, resulting in a dynamic body of high-calibre students.
- Visiting tutors come from local practice and we involve other high profile practitioners, such as Eminent Architects, visiting professors and world-renowned consultants.
Choose your modules and study via CPD
Selected modules on this course are available through Continuing Professional Development (CPD). This route allows you to select individual modules around your area of interest and study alongside current students.