Birmingham City University Illustration
Our BA (Hons) Illustration course aims to give those with a passion for image making and illustration the skills they need to capture and communicate ideas through pictures. We celebrate the challenge of finding your individual visual voice through experimenting, risk taking and critical reflection. You will also explore how your work can be applied across a wide range of contexts, from commercial work to personally-driven projects.
This course provides an opportunity to development a wide range of transferable skills and design process knowledge that is highly desirable to employers.
Our challenging and exciting Illustration course will help you develop new skills and different ways of thinking, enabling you to find your own individual, visual voice and prepare you for the ever-changing creative industry.
Recognised by Creative Skillset, you will examine the new ideas, technologies and issues that affect today’s developing illustrators, as well as exploring more unfamiliar territories.
The course celebrates the synthesis between illustration and all the other visual communication subject disciplines, leading to the development of strong student collaborations that again aims to reflect industry practice.
We support a lively creative community, encouraging the value of peer learning. This learning is supplemented by an integrated workshop programme that provides the opportunity to work alongside, and be informed by, industry experts from a wide range of disciplines.
“While on the Illustration Course at Birmingham City University, I was exposed to new ideas, methods and people that have influenced my work and taken me in directions that I had not even considered. It has allowed for me a future in illustration, where I see my idols becoming peers. I could not be happier.” Matthew Bailey
Why Choose Us?
- We have the only in-house active agency in the region which allows you to gain first-hand experience of real-life briefs set by clients.
- Your portfolio will be showcased to a number of potential employers through our home-grown and independent talent pool, We Grow Cherries, as well as during your graduate show.
- There will be opportunities to exhibit at high-profile London graduate shows, including New Designers and D&AD New Blood.
- You will receive industry insight from significant practitioners, including Laura Carlin, Russell Cobb, Sarah Fanelli, Le Gun, Paul Willoughby, NoBrow, Paul Slater, People of Print, Dan Fern, Jonny Hannah, Isobel Greenberg, Dr Sketchy’s Anti-Art School, Paper Cinema, Fabric Lenny, Sarah Maycock and Graham Rawle.
- Live project partnerships include Hallmark & Tigerprint, Flatpack Film Festival, Playground Games and Moonpig.
- Professional practice and core business skills are delivered by outside agencies such as Bernstein & Andriulli, the Association of Illustrators and other external specialists.
* Please note this course has changed name for 2017/18. The KIS data below relates to the previous course title.
- Film and Animation – BA (Hons)
- Photography – BA (Hons) – 2017/18 Entry
- Design for Performance – BA (Hons)
- Commercial Photography – BA (Hons) – 2017/18 Entry
- Graphic Communication – BA (Hons)