Birmingham City University GP

Birmingham City University logo

Birmingham City University GP

If you’re moving to Birmingham to start your studies, don’t wait until you are ill to register with a doctor!

We provide a comprehensive, convenient, NHS* health care service for our current students, who register as a patient with the University health care providers. We have medical consulting rooms at Curzon Building, City Centre Campus and City South Campus.

Our health care service is provided by Handsworth Wood Medical Centre (part of the Modality Partnership), one of the largest surgeries in the heart of Birmingham. It is staffed by an experienced female nurse prescriber practitioner.

How we can help you

Health care staff offer confidential help and information on a range of health-related issues, carry out treatment and make referrals to other health care professionals. Our services include:

  • Medical advice, diagnosis and treatment of illnesses
  • New and repeat prescriptions for medicines
  • Advice about problems with food, diet and weight management
  • Support for and management of mental health difficulties
  • Contraception provision and sexual health screening and treatment
  • Monitoring of existing chronic diseases (eg asthma, diabetes, epilepsy)
  • Guidance and support for alcohol and drug-related difficulties
  • Travel advice and travel booster vaccinations
  • University medical notes (eg for extenuating circumstances)

*The NHS (National Health Service) is the UK’s state health service which provides treatment for UK residents through a wide range of health care services. Some services are free and some have to be paid for. If you are not normally resident in the UK, please visit the UKCISA website for more information about health care in the UK.

It’s very important that you’re registered with a doctor during your time at university. It’s much more difficult to seek medical attention if you’re feeling ill and you don’t have a doctor.

If you’re new to Birmingham, you’ll either need to register with the University’s health care provider or with a GP near your term-time address. Your GP at home will not be able to provide you with an ‘out of hours’ service (evenings / weekends). We encourage new students to register with our health care provider Handsworth Wood Medical Centre, which runs surgeries from two of our campuses.