Birmingham City University Economics
Take advantage of Birmingham’s distinctive and diverse economic profile with our brand new Economics degree.
On our BA (Hons) Economics programme, you’ll be prepared for a career in government, business and financial institutions with our comprehensive curriculum, as well as being taught the transferable skills you’ll need to stand out from the crowd when it comes to securing employment.
Economics and its sub-disciplines, such as financial and business economics, is of huge importance when it comes to understanding, and contributing to, the performance and success of a business enterprise of any scale.
You’ll be equipped with a firm foundation of knowledge about the workings of economic systems, with appropriate tools of analysis to tackle the issues the industry faces in innovative ways.
What’s covered in the course?
The programme will not just use economics to explain social, financial and business interactions, but will draw back knowledge and understanding from these related areas, using these to challenge and progress your understanding of economic interactions.
Throughout the programme you’ll be developed into a work-ready graduate, equipped with a range of technical and employability skills suitable for a wide range of positions. Your course will foster your intellectual and moral development, and encourage your personal commitment to the social purpose of becoming a professional economist or business professional.
Why Choose Us?
- On all of our programmes you will gain a professional focus and real world experience of economics, ensuring you are equipped to make an immediate impact in the business world. You have the opportunity to embark on a year-long sandwich placement as part of your degree course. Many of our previous placement students have worked at big name companies such as BMW, Rolls Royce, Mercedes, Intel, IBM and Disney.
- Recognising the global scope of business, all our programmes have an international focus. This is embedded throughout the curriculum, giving you the opportunity to transform your experience with us into a global one. There are a variety of exciting possibilities open to you, ranging from our successful international travel scholarships scheme, through which you can spend a summer working for a charitable organisation overseas, to one of our many overseas study exchange programmes.
- As a student on one of our undergraduate degrees, you will be able to benefit from our Graduate+ initiative. This three-year award programme enables you to gain award levels for all the extra-curricular activities you undertake so that you can stand out from the crowd on graduation.
- Birmingham City University has just launched the UK’s first Centre for Brexit Studies, researching all aspects of the UK’s vote to leave the EU, including the impact it has on British and European economies.
- The Economics team at Birmingham City University have a wide range of experiences in industry and these will be enhanced by the unique contributions which colleagues in strategy, finance and enterprise can offer.
- You will develop the relevant subject-specific and key transferable skills you need to excel in a wide variety of sectors and roles.
- Your course will foster your intellectual development and encourage your personal commitment with the purpose of preparing you for work as an economist, both locally and abroad thanks to our international focus.
- We will provide you with the fundamental knowledge and skills base from which you can proceed to further studies in economics or in multidisciplinary areas that involve economics.
- You will study in our state-of-the-art City Centre Campus, ideally located for you to take advantage of our links to industry in the UK’s second city.
- Business Studies – BA (Hons) – 2017/18
- Business Analytics – BA (Hons) – 2017/18 Entry
- Business Accounting – BSc (Hons) – 2017/18 Entry
- Business Professional Practice – BA (Hons) – 2017/18 Entry
- Business Marketing – BA (Hons) – 2017/18
- Business Economics – BA (Hons) – 2017/18 Entry
- Business Finance – BSc (Hons) – 2017/18 Entry