Birmingham City University Early Years Foundation Degree
Available full-time or part-time at our partner, South and City College Birmingham, this foundation degree is an excellent source of professional development if you are already working in a childcare setting, and is a highly respected starting point for your studies. Equivalent to two years of degree-level study, it offers direct entry to the final year of the BA (Hons) Early Childhood Studies providing a commendation/merit profile is achieved.
What’s covered in the course?
The course is carefully designed to offer appropriate skills and knowledge relating to professional practice, and the application of work-based experience. It also focuses on your self-development and independent learning, as well as team work and your ability to manage others.
Skills and knowledge acquired from your modules combine to give you a thorough appreciation of a child’s social and emotional development, covering issues of language, literacy and numeracy, knowledge and understanding of the world, and physical and creative development.
Applying your knowledge in real Early Years settings is a vital part of your learning, and you need to complete 720 hours of work placement during the course. As a working, part-time student, you normally achieve this through your professional commitments; if you study full-time, you get all the support you need to find a suitable work placement.
“The library has outstanding facilities including private study rooms, computers and even a cafe. It also has extended opening hours during busy periods of the year and the staff are always friendly and willing to help you find what you are looking for.” Roberta Goddard
Why Choose Us?
- Studying in small, intimate groups, trainee Early Years practitioners get the chance to enhance skills and professional standing, while aspiring entrants to the profession enjoy a practical, hands-on introduction to key issues.
- The part-time route offers flexibility to fit studies around your weekly commitments.
- Although based at South and City College Birmingham (Digbeth campus), you have full use of facilities at any of the University sites and will feel part of our supportive student community.
- This course supports the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS), ensuring you can deliver provision that complies with EYFS learning and development requirements.
- Ofsted rates South and City College Birmingham as a ‘Beacon Status’ college, making it one of only a few UK training providers to achieve the government’s Training Quality Standard in three or more sectors.
- The College also has Customer Service Excellence status, proof of the importance placed on student satisfaction.
We accept a range of qualifications, the most popular of which are detailed below.