Birmingham City University Doctor
The Doctorate in Education (EdD) programme is a professional doctorate which enables you to develop your skills, knowledge and understanding through a wide-ranging interdisciplinary programme of research into your professional practice.
Through this programme of research it is anticipated that you will improve your practice and make a significant contribution to your continuing professional development.
The programme provides you with a grounding in the essential skills that are required to articulate and interrogate the key issues relating to education policy, the changing role of social institutions, aspects of pedagogy and the implications for multiple and fluid professional identities on everyday education practice in a context of global interconnectedness and interdependence.
The programme aims to enable you to:
- Explore the relationship between knowledge, theory and practice and to demonstrate your understanding of how it is possible to make and influence change
- Develop creative and innovative approaches for integrating academic and professional knowledge
- Design and implement research which draws upon your appreciation of knowledge that occurs in professional settings
- Develop intuitive judgement, foresight and ability to conceptualise problems that typically impact on organisations
- Develop appropriate solutions to problems by applying theoretical concepts and a range of research skills and approaches
- Acquire skills that will enable you to communicate academic principles and concepts effectively to professional colleagues and the scholarly community
What’s covered in the course?
- This intensive course offers small group teaching. You’ll enjoy a range of teaching and learning approaches led by academics who are writing and publishing in a range of related areas.
- This course encourages innovative and creative approaches to educational research and draws on a wider pool of experts from across the University to support work in visual methods and new media.
- The course is tailored to the needs of busy practitioners and will enable you to embed your research in your everyday practice.