Birmingham City University Black Studies
Black Studies is an interdisciplinary subject rooted in the experiences of African diasporic communities and in a commitment to improving the conditions faced by communities on a local, national and global scale. The field is an emerging discipline in the UK that the Centre for Critical Social Research is at the forefront of developing.
The Black Studies cluster actively seeks to develop a network of researchers, students and activists externally and within Birmingham City University. The cluster has formed a close link with the Black Studies Association and is at the forefront of the national agenda of developing Black Studies.
The topic areas of research will include:
- Black organisations and the voluntary sector
- Black radical politics
- Racism and resistance in education
- The representation of black women in the media
- Oral histories of local communities
- The overrepresentation of black communities in mental health services
- Health inequalities in black communities