Birmingham City University 3d Design
Our BA (Hons) Product and Furniture design course focuses on the design and development of creative, contemporary and innovative products and furniture, considering user centred design, social context and commercial understanding. You will be encouraged to explore materials, techniques and processes in relation to scales of manufacture, from one-off bespoke design to design for standardised mass production. This course is the ideal choice if you’re interested in a career as a designer, maker, and developer of products and furniture.
You will learn a range of research and design methods alongside continual practical skills development. Live student projects take place throughout the course to enhance your employability, communication skills and professional practice.
What’s covered in the course?
You will examine the process of designing and developing functional and desirable products and furniture, examining how social and cultural factors influence design decisions. You will develop knowledge and understanding of design in response to collaborative, professional, commercial and economic considerations.
By working on live projects, you will explore how businesses operate at a commercial, technological, ethical and sustainable level. Alongside research and design development skills, you will also increase your practical knowledge through extensive hands-on exploration. Engaging with making from the outset enables you to fully realise design concepts and create convincing models and prototypes. Underpinned with strong contemporary design thinking, you will explore the breadth of scales of manufacture across product and furniture design to be able to position yourself within a global industry.
We also boast valuable international opportunities. In the past, students on this course have collaborated with international packaging company Tri-Wall, working together for an exhibition in Hong Kong. Our second-year students have also exhibited a range of products at PMQ, a creative hub for local design talent also located in Hong Kong. You’ll also benefit from the insight of guest speakers, such as materials expert Chris Lefteri and furniture designer Valentina Glez Wholers.
“Studying at Birmingham City University has allowed me to obtain a broad range of skills, ranging from Photoshop to welding, as well as giving me the opportunity to learn a variety of software and technologies. I’m now capable of taking a project from the initial stages of conceptualisation (sketching) right the way through to planned pre-production (working prototypes and technical drawings).” Benjamin Banks
Why Choose Us?
- From Barcelona to New York, study trips and international opportunities provide new cultural perspectives and shared common experiences.
- You’ll have the chance to join the student-led Society of 3D Design to take part in collaborative opportunities, creating a community between different disciplines of 3D design.
- You’ll develop design communication and visualisation skills using recognised industry standard programmes such as SolidWorks, Adobe Creative Suite and AutoCAD.
- You will develop practical skills throughout the programme through extensive workshop practice and develop skills in rapid prototyping and digitally driven techniques.
- Live projects and industrial collaborations provide you with invaluable real world experiences and hone your communication and professional development skills.
* Please note this course has changed name for 2017/18. The KIS data below relates to the previous course title.