Birkbeck University of London Study Abroad
Study abroad with Erasmus
Erasmus is a student exchange programme that gives you the opportunity to study abroad at some of the best universities in Europe.
Please note: Birkbeck does not participate in the ‘Erasmus+ traineeship’ scheme for outgoing or incoming students.
Information for Birkbeck students who want to study abroad
Criteria for selection
- To take part in the Erasmus scheme you must:
- be enrolled on a full-time course at Birkbeck
- be in your second year of study (or have successfully completed your first year)
- have an overall average of 2:2 or equivalent
- not owe outstanding fee payments to Birkbeck
- demonstrate a good knowledge of the language of the country you are moving to, if the courses there are not taught in English.
- Part-time students can also apply, but you must study full-time during your Erasmus year. You will pay full-time tuition fees and the change may affect any part-time funding or grants that you have applied for previously.
- International and non-EU students may also apply to the scheme, but you should seek further advice about your visa status and requirements from International Student Administration.
- Erasmus placements are based up on reciprocal student exchange agreements between Birkbeck and the partner institution. Therefore, you will not have to pay any tuition fee to the host institution, but they may charge a small fee for registration or using certain facilities.
- Students who spend an academic year studying abroad for at least 24 weeks will only be liable for 15% of their Birkbeck tuition fee. However, those who study for one term abroad will be charged the full programme fee.
- Please contact us for further information about Erasmus funding.