Birkbeck University of London Student Union
You said: You want a Students’ Union that supports and suits your needs.
- The College and the SU are working together to understand student needs.
- The SU has engaged external research company Red Brick to ask students what they want from the SU, and 1300 students responded.
- This research is helping the SU understand how students use SU services.
- The College and SU are investigating new SU structures to deliver the service and support you want.
- The SU presented evidence to the All Party Parliamentary Student Group on campus safety, and will go back to parliament to discuss the consequences of Brexit for universities.
You said: You want more and varied student activities.
- The SU has made an agreement with SOAS Students’ Union which allows Birkbeck students to join SOAS SU clubs and societies.
- The Birkbeck Film Society has relaunched.
- The Geology Society is planning a field trip abroad to study volcanoes.
- The College has committed to providing funding for clubs and societies throughout 2016/17, to allow them to flourish.
Birkbeck Students’ Union promotes welfare issues, represents students’ interests on College committees and provides social activities via events and societies.
- Counselling (free, confidential and independent service dealing with personal issues)
- Advice Centre (free drop-in service offering general advice andreferrals)
- Skills for Life Workshops (free workshops in essay writing, time management, presentation skills, etc.)
- Student Representation (class representation, appeal cases,discrimination, harassment, etc.)
Facilities and services:
- Union Shop selling light snacks and drinks, stationery and Birkbeck-branded items, all at reasonable prices.
- Student magazine, The Lamp and Owl
- Newly renovated and student affordable bar with regular entertainments, Sky TV and a pool table
- Twenty societies, ranging from archaeology to football
- Access to the University of London Union (ULU) bars, fitness facilities, swimming pool and retail outlets, located next door to Birkbeck Malet Street building