Birkbeck University of London IB Requirements
At Birkbeck, we encourage applications from students without traditional qualifications and we welcome students from all educational backgrounds. Our Admission Tutors will take into account the knowledge and skills that you have developed outside the classroom, not only your previous qualifications.
Many of our courses have no formal entry requirements, but for those that do, we welcome applicants without traditional entry qualifications. We offer places based on our own assessment of your qualifications, knowledge and previous work experience. We may waive formal entry requirements based on our judgement of your academic potential.
Where entry requirements or tests do apply, you will find the relevant information in our online course descriptions (under Entry Requirements).
Don’t be afraid of being honest with your educational background – we receive a lot of successful applications from similar people. If our Admission Tutors judge that you are not yet ready for degree-level study, they may suggest that you try a Certificate of Higher Education, as these provide additional support and allow a progression route onto degree study.
- Find your country to check the equivalence of your qualifications.
- Master’s degrees: For most Master’s degrees, we require the equivalent of a UK Bachelor’s degree (class 2.1 or 2.2 with honours). You must also meet our minimum English language entry requirements.
- Our approved agents in your country may also be able to advise you on the equivalence of your qualification.
- If you do not know the equivalence of your qualifications, please include as much information as you can in your application, and we will make an assessment of your eligibility.
- MPhil/PhD degrees: for most MPhil/PhD degrees, we require the equivalent of a good UK Master’s degree.
- You must also meet our minimum .
- Our approved agents in your country may also be able to advise you on the UK equivalence of your qualification.
- If you do not know the equivalence of your qualifications, please include as much information as you can in your application, and we will make an assessment using our knowledge of different education systems, case studies, and by referring to external benchmarks.