Birkbeck University of London Distance Learning
- Earth History and Palaeontology (Certificate in Higher Education): 2-year, part-time
- Earth Sciences (BSc): 4-year, part-time evening/distance learning
- Environmental Geology (BSc): 4-year, part-time evening/distance learning
- Geology (BSc): 3-year, full-time
- Geology (BSc): 4-year, part-time evening/distance learning
- Geology (BSc): 6-year, part-time evening/distance learning
- Geology (Certificate in Higher Education): 2-year, part-time
- Mineralogy and Volcanology (Certificate in Higher Education): 2-year, part-time
- Planetary Science with Astronomy (BSc): 3-year, full-time
- Planetary Science with Astronomy (BSc): 4-year, part-time
- Planetary Science with Astronomy (Certificate in Higher Education), 2-year, part-time
Evening study explained
Birkbeck is London’s only specialist provider of evening higher education. With classes held between 6pm and 9pm, your days are free for you to study, work, volunteer, or just do your own thing.
What’s more, you can study at a pace that suits you. In many subjects, you can choose to complete your degree full-time 1 year, or part-time over 2 years.
Our academics are very experienced at supporting students who juggle busy lives and our facilities and support services stay open late.
So, if you want a different university experience, with a schedule that suits you, Birkbeck is the perfect choice.
Commitment and flexibility
When deciding which type of course and whether to study full-time or part-time, take the time commitment for attending classes and undertaking home study into consideration.
Choosing the right course
Whether you choose to study full-time or part-time you will receive the same University of London qualification. We encourage applications from students without traditional qualifications, as we base decisions on our own assessment of qualifications, knowledge and previous work experience.
Full-time or part-time?
Birkbeck offers the majority of our postgraduate courses as 1- or 2-year options. There are a number of factors that you may wish to consider when you decide which option is best for you.
Full-time evening degrees
- As with typical full-time courses elsewhere, Birkbeck’s full-time postgraduate degrees take 1 year to complete. The difference is that at Birkbeck classes take place over 2-3 evenings during the week, between October and June. (Please see our course descriptions for details.)
Part-time evening degrees
- All postgraduate degree courses are available part-time. Almost all of our part-time, evening postgraduate degrees are designed to be completed in just 2 years.
- Please see our course descriptions for details.
Depending on your previous qualifications and academic goals, you can choose from the following qualifications at Birkbeck: