Bath Spa University Estates
The Department of Estates is responsible for the strategic planning, development and management of the University’s lands and buildings on the Claverton Down campus and in Bath.
The department currently employs some 200 professional, technical, crafts and manual staff. We are based in the Estates Office, although operational staff are located across the campus.
The department is divided into several core functions and activities:
The department is made up of 13 teams, each with its own management structure.
Fire alarms across the University are tested weekly at specific times.
The heating at the University is generally provided by ‘wet’ systems where hot water is pumped round the building to radiators.
The Department of Estates operates a quality management system meeting the requirements of the standard ISO 9001. We are regularly audited by the British Standards Institute (BSI).
They work to provide a pleasant and attractive environment in which students and staff can relax, work and study, and that will attract future students and conference visitors to the campus. Our 16 full-time and one part-time staff members divide their duties between:
- regular maintenance of the existing landscape features and plants
- advising on current and future projects with a landscape element
- assisting the Department of Estates with the planning and designing of post-building landscape re-instatements
- creating plant displays for offices, events and ceremonies both on and off campus
- maintenance and preparation of the outdoor sports areas
- general assistance to the Department of Estates in moving loads and digger works
- salting and gritting
- emergency storm damage repairs
- litter collection on soft landscape areas
- overseeing the planting of ceremonial or memorial trees on campus.
The Department of Estates maintains and repairs lifts across the University.
A map of lift locations across the University campus is available.
Planning and records
The Planning and Records team is responsible for maintaining the space and legal information for the Estate. They have successfully improved asbestos information with data-driven drawings, catalogued the Estates O&M archive in 3 East, listed existing records in the Planning and Records Office and laid the foundations for an Estates library.
Future work includes expanding Archibus utilisation, improving access to information with the implementation of a document control system and establishing a formal hand over process for Capital Procurement projects.
Strategic planning encompasses the Estates Strategy, the review of strategic property holdings, the acquisition, leasing and disposal of operational and investment properties, town and country planning and master planning.
This includes the procurement of the design and construction of new buildings, major refurbishments and minor projects across University-owned buildings and land.
Service level commitments
Our service level commitments outline what happens when you report a fault and the timeframe in which you can expect a response.
The Support Services team provides all administrative and financial support to the department, including the following:
- reception and general enquiries
- processing Helpdesk requests and assigning them to the relevant technical section
- internal order processing
- PA support to senior staff
- handling of all financial transactions for the Department, up to authorisation for payment stage
- links between Agresso and Archibus
- recharges to other University departments
- maintenance of and acquisitions to the University’s vehicle fleet
- approval of driver and vehicle insurance
- waste and recycling contacts
- maintenance of the University’s Central Stores stock lines and purchasing.
|Patrick Abbott||01225 firstname.lastname@example.org||Client Project/Programme Manager|
|Stephen Andrews||01225 email@example.com||Carbon Reduction Officer|
|Jeremy Brickell||01225 firstname.lastname@example.org||Cost Manager|
|Jason Carpenter||01225 email@example.com||Mail Services Manager|
|Craig Carter||01225 firstname.lastname@example.org||Electrical Services Engineer|
|Sam Cummins||01225 email@example.com||Graduate Project Co-ordinator|
|Vacancy||Deputy Director (Operations and Maintenance)|
|Jim Dibben||01225 firstname.lastname@example.org||Accommodation Property Manager|
|Oliver Eades||01225 email@example.com||Clerk of Works|
|Nich Fowles-Sweet||01225 firstname.lastname@example.org||Facilities Co-ordinator|
|Estates Helpdeskemail@example.com||General Enquires|
|Vacancy||01225 385071||Temporary Bus Transport Manager/ Inspector|