Bangor University Occupational Health
AN INTRODUCTION AND GUIDE TO THE
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH SERVICES AT
Occupational health is located in Penbre, No 52 on the map; by prior arrangement visitors can park in the driveway
Health & Safety Services, Bangor University,
Penbre, College Road, Bangor, LL57 2DG
Tel: 01248 383847
The role of Occupational Health is to provide opportunities that help people stay in good health at work. This is achieved in many ways1 including:
- Health Surveillance: To check the effectiveness of safeguards that have been put in place to ensure health is not harmed by laboratory, office or workshop hazards.
- Health Promotion: Through health checks, health campaigns and the publication of health information to prevent illness.
- Support: To enable the return to work of those who have suffered illness.
- Information: For people to continue at work with chronic health conditions such as asthma, diabetes, epilepsy etc and for those with a disability that require additional support.
More detailed information about these activities can be obtained from the Health and Well-being Website or by contacting Health and Safety Services on ext 3847.
The Occupational Health Practitioner and assistant are competent to design and deliver the Staff Health Agenda and are bound by a code of strict confidentiality regarding personal medical information
1 HSG257 (2006) ‘Occupational Health Services in Higher and Further Education’ www.hse/publications
- Although the Occupational Health Practitioner advises Managers on supporting staff at work, medical information is never disclosed without the individual’s informed, written consent.
- Paper occupational health records are kept in lockable rooms / cabinets; computerised data is securely held to prevent unauthorised access.
If you wish to inspect your own occupational health records, contact the Occupational Health Practitioner firstname.lastname@example.org / ext 2575. For a copy of your occupational health records, an application has to be made to the Data Protection Officer, email@example.com / ext 2413.