Bangor University Midwifery
The School of Health Care Sciences currently offers a full time three-year course of study leading to a Bachelor of Midwifery (Hons) degree and registration as a midwife with the UK Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). You will have the opportunity to gain clinical experience in maternity units offering care to women and their families during and following pregnancy. This includes working with midwifery teams in the community to provide continuity of care. You will also have the opportunity to experience multi-disciplinary team working thus providing a holistic service to women and their families.
The course commences in September each year with practice placements offered in a variety of areas across north Wales with opportunity for some short placements outside the area. Elements of the course will be available through the medium of Welsh. There will be opportunities to experience bilingual practice in some parts of the region. For information on the School’s bilingual provision click here.
This course can accept self-funded overseas applicants with an IELTS of at least 7.0 however, places are very limited.
Why choose Bangor University for this course?
- 100% of students go on to further work or study (Unistats Key Information Set).
- Our staff have a wide range of clinical experience at the forefront of their professional fields, and work in partnership with local health providers, including Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, to ensure our students’ learning is of the highest quality.
- Ranked 3rd in the UK (No.1 in Wales) for Nursing in the Complete University Guide 2017.
- Midwifery has regularly ranked highly in the annual National Student Survey. In NSS 2016 Midwifery ranked particularly highly for Library Resources (90%), IT Resources (100%), being able to contact staff (100%) and the course being Intellectually Stimulating (90%).
- We are leading research programmes which are transforming the quality and delivery of healthcare in Wales and internationally.
- We have a long-established history of training midwives to a high standard.
- Our degree course leads to both an academic award and registration with the UK’s Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), allowing you to practice within the midwifery profession.
- The clinical midwifery providers offer you varied and exciting opportunities to work with mentors in community and hospital settings.
- Course fees paid by the NHS along with access to a the NHS Wales bursary scheme – information regarding eligibility may be found here.