Aston University QTS
Newman has an established reputation for producing high quality teachers, who understand the needs of the children they teach, and develop creative and effective practice. In a unique partnership, Newman University have partnered with Aston University to offer a guaranteed interview* to Aston graduates with appropriate subject qualifications who want to train to be a teacher via the Schools Direct programme (Modern Foreign Languages) or study for a PGCE in:
Funding & Support
There are currently a range of bursaries from £3000 to £30000 available to support your teaching training and to help you start your teaching career.
Newman University also offer:
- a range of Subject Knowledge Enhancement courses to reinforce subject knowledge gained either during or prior to your degree to enable you to teach effectively in that subject
- support to help you to pass your skills tests in numeracy and literacy
In addition, the Department for Education run a Premier Plus service to provide you with additional practical and financial support when preparing and applying for teacher training if you are considering teaching secondary biology, geography, maths, physics, chemistry, computing or languages.
*Newman University will guarantee an interview (subject to NCTL funding) for teaching suitability to appropriately qualified students who have met the following requirements:
- A predicted lower second (2.2) classification degree (or above)
- A satisfactory DBS certificate
- A health declaration
- Two weeks experience in a school (as defined and advised by Newman University)
- Passed the QTS skills tests in numeracy and literacy
Please note that places available for all QTS programmes are subject to annual NCTL allocations
Routes into Teaching