Aston University Nursing
Our Adult Nursing BSc (Hons) course expertly supports you in gaining the hands-on clinical and care skills that reassure patients/service users and their families that a professional is at their side.
The course is currently commissioned by the NHS, which entrusts us to deliver one of the UK’s largest commissions of nurses every year, so you’ll benefit from studying at one of the country’s largest nursing schools, and in a diverse and vibrant city.
Successful completion of the course will make you eligible to apply for professional registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).
What’s covered in the course?
We offer a degree in four distinct fields of nursing – Adult, Child, Learning Disability and Mental Health. You start by identifying developing basic clinical, academic and professional skills in your first year, with the course becoming increasingly field-specific in Years 2 and 3.
While in university you’ll learn how to assess, implement, plan and evaluate care for patients in a variety of settings, supported by clinical placements.
Our state-of-the-art simulation facility and skills suite complement your clinical placement experience. In parallel with your practice, you will explore important aspects of values, ethics, research, physiology and social policy.
Towards the end of the course, you’ll focus on making the transition from nursing student to registered nurse. Throughout, you nurture and hone the personal and professional skills that are key to your future employment.
“Birmingham City University had the best facilities for my course, including excellent practice areas. This enabled me to get an insight into what it would be like to work in a hospital… from the mock wards.”Susan Donegal
Why Choose Us?
- Birmingham is one of the UK’s most diverse cities outside London. As a Nursing student you’ll benefit from working in a wide range of cultural and social contexts, with people from many different backgrounds and cultures – you’ll gain valuable experience that will benefit you wherever in the world you choose to make your career.
- We have strong links with some of the largest NHS Trusts in the country, including University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust, Heart of England Foundation NHS Trust, City and Sandwell NHS Trust, Birmingham Children`s Hospital, Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health Foundation Trust and many others, providing huge scope for unique experiences that students at other universities don’t get access to and placements and building a network of invaluable contacts.
- Real-world placements are augmented by our Virtual Case Creator specialist software, enabling you to learn valuable observation, analytic, diagnostic, problem-solving and decision-making skills in a simulated environment.
- We were commended in a recent BSc course review as achieving ‘good practice’ for placement support through its close links with NHS trusts.
- Birmingham City University has an international reputation for pioneering approaches to teaching, through the creation of cutting-edge simulated learning experiences.
- You’ll study in a friendly, co-operative environment where you’ll be supported to achieve your goals – you can take advantage of our well-established range of pastoral and study support teams to deliver this. Many of our students develop strong bonds with staff and other students during their time here. The University has a Quality Mark from the British Dyslexia Association for outstanding student support.