Aston University Medicine Entry Requirements
There are 100 places available per cohort (this number may be reduced to 60 for 2018 entry due to space limitations).
The majority of our places are reserved for high achieving international fee paying students with the remainder of places allocated to a small number of talented local UK students who successfully complete our Sir Doug Ellis Pathway to Healthcare Programme. We will not be accepting applications from any other UK or EU fee paying students*.
We welcome applications from candidates interested in our course who have the skills and capability to excel on our course. All candidates are considered on an individual basis based on all previous and predicted qualifications, experience, references and motivation.
All candidates must have:
- GCSE (or equivalent) qualifications: The normal requirement is a minimum of five GCSEs/IGCSEs at grade B or above, which must include English language, mathematics, chemistry, biology or double science (or overseas equivalent).
- UKCAT (UK Clinical Aptitude Test): This must be taken in the year of application. Your result will be considered alongside the other required qualifications. Visit www.ukcat.ac.uk for more information.
- English language requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English must demonstrate an excellent command of the English language. Find out more about accepted tests and scores.
- A Levels: The normal requirement is a minimum of AAB in three subjects including chemistry and biology. The third subject may be any other subject, excluding general studies and critical thinking. A pass in the practical element of your science A Levels is required. If you are taking more than three A Levels, the chemistry, biology and the next best grade in a science subject, if taken, will be the grades considered.
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma: Applicants will normally be expected to achieve or to have achieved an overall score of at least 35 points with a mark of 6, 6, 5 in three Higher Level subjects including chemistry and biology and the rest from three Standard Level subjects.
- BTEC: Applicants with a BTEC qualification will normally be considered on a case-by-case basis but will need to obtain distinction in a single level 3 BTEC award or certificate in Applied Science in combination with chemistry and biology A Levels with grades AB.
- Overseas equivalents: Discover the wide range of recognised equivalent overseas qualifications that Aston Medical School accepts.
- Foundation programmes: We do accept some UK foundation programmes and these are considered on a case by case basis. Find out the foundation programmes that we accept.
- International applicants with a previous undergraduate degree: We will require at least an upper second class degree (2:1) or overseas equivalent. This will need to be in a suitable science subject from a recognised university. Students will be required to have an adequate knowledge of chemistry and biology equivalent to B grade passes at A Level. Please note that there is no accelerated graduate entry available at Aston.
- Deferred entry and gap years: Deferred entry and gap years are permitted, however interviews, UKCAT and academic qualifications must be obtained in the year of application.
- Frequently asked questions: Discover more in our FAQ