Aston University Karen Wilson
Professor Karen Wilson
Professor of Catalysis and Research Director
Phone number: 0121 204 5456
Room Number: EB128
I joined Aston in 2013 to take up a position of Chair of Catalysis and Research Director of the European Bioenergy Research Institute (EBRI).
Prior to this I was a Reader in Physical Chemistry at Cardiff University (2009-2013) where I was also a member of the Cardiff Catalysis Institute and in 2011 was awarded a four year Royal Society Industry fellowship to work with Johnson Matthey on the development of catalysts for biofuel synthesis.
From 2007 to 2009 I was a senior lecturer at the University of York, having first been appointed as a lecturer there in 1999. Prior to this I undertook postdoctoral research in the Green Chemistry Centre of Excellence at York (1998-99) and at the University of Cambridge with Professor Richard M Lambert (1996-98).
Qualifications & Education
- BA (Hons) Natural Sciences, University of Cambridge, (1992)
- MSc (Distinction) Heterogeneous Catalysis and Surface Science (1993)
- PhD in Heterogeneous Catalysis and Surface Science, ‘Poison and promoter species in Pt catalysed hydrocarbon oxidation’ University of Cambridge (1996)
- 2013 – to date: Professor of Catalysis and Research Director, European Bioenergy Research Institute, Aston University.
- 2009 – 2013: Reader in Physical Chemistry, Cardiff Catalysis Institute, School of Chemistry, Cardiff University.
- 2007 – 2009: Senior Lecturer in Inorganic Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, University of York.
- 1999-2007: Lecturer in Inorganic Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, University of York.
- 1998 – 1999: EPSRC Funded Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Chemistry, University of York.
- 1996-1998: EPSRC Funded Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge.