Aston University Biomedical Science
This course is for you if you are looking for a qualification that will give you a springboard to work within the NHS and many health-related institutions.
This course offers a springboard for graduates to work within the NHS and other health-related institutions. Practicing NHS biomedical scientists require a degree accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) – an endorsement we have held for over 10 years.
Hear from Roseanne, a graduate from this course as she discusses her experiences.
During the course, you will gain a deep understanding of the main principles of how the human body works. Going beyond this, you will discover how biomedical scientists find new ways to cure or treat disease by developing advanced diagnostic tools or new therapeutic strategies.
You will initially enrol on to BSc Biomedical Science (C900). You will then have the following options available to you:
- BSc Biomedical Science: A three year full-time course accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS).
- BSc Biomedical Science with integrated placement year: A four year full-time course involving an integrated placement in an industrial or research laboratory in the third year, accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS). You will apply for placements during your second year, with support from the university. If you are successful, you will transfer to this 4 year course.
- BSc Applied Biomedical Science with integrated clinical placement year: A four-year course involving an integrated one-year clinical placement in a CPA accredited hospital laboratory in the third year. This is the route to take if you wish to become a professional Biomedical Scientist, working in the NHS. You will apply for placements during your second year, with support from the university. If you are successful, you will transfer to this 4 year course. The Applied Biomedical Science route is approved by the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC), the regulatory body for Biomedical Scientists, and graduates will immediately be eligible to apply to the HPC for registration as professional Biomedical Scientists.
BSc Medical Bioscience course for students in Singapore
Students from Singapore can benefit from our BSc Medical Bioscience course delivered in Singapore through a collaboration between Aston University and the East Asia Institute of Management (EASB).
- 3 years full-time degree – all students initially register on this course, you will have the option to transfer to the 4 year degree courses in Year 2, see below for full details
- 4 years full-time degree in Biomedical Science with industry placement year (IBMS accredited) – subject to availability of placements, see below for full details
- 4 year full-time degree in Applied Biomedical Science with integrated clinical placement year in a clinical pathology accredited (CPA) laboratory (IBMS accredited/HCPC approved) – subject to availability of placements, see below for full details
UCAS Code: C900
- All candidates are considered on an individual basis based on all previous and predicted qualifications, experience, references and motivation. Whilst the grades listed here are our entry requirements, we understand that predicted grades are only an estimate. We will therefore consider applicants with predicted grades that fall slightly below these entry requirements if the application is of a high standard (however, initial offers will not be lower than stated below).
- This course requires all applicants to uphold professional standards of behaviour.
- Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to provide evidence of an English language qualification. Find out more about our English language requirements.
- GCSE requirements: Five GCSEs at Grade C/4 or above including English Language and Maths Grade C/4.
- Find out more about our admissions policy.
- The information contained on this website details the typical entry requirements for this course for the most commonly offered qualifications. Applicants with alternative qualifications may wish to enquire with the relevant admissions teams prior to application whether or not their qualifications are deemed acceptable. For less commonly encountered qualifications this will be judged on a case-by-case basis in consultation with the academic admissions tutor.
- Suitably qualified students based in Singapore can study Aston’s BSc Medical Bioscience course in country. Visit our course page here.
ABB-BBB including Biology or Human Biology. You are also required to successfully complete the practical element of your Biology A Level.
Chemistry at A/AS Level welcomed but not essential.
Maths and Further Maths are not considered as two separate A Levels
We welcome applications from students who have tried to improve their examination grades by taking a maximum of one set of resits. We treat these applications in exactly the same way as other applications. However, if you have had more than one attempt at improving your grades, your application will be considered on an individual basis and we reserve to make an amended (higher) offer, or not make an offer.