Accommodation for University of Edinburgh

university of edinburgh logo

Accommodation for University of Edinburgh

ACE Vision

To support the University in its aim to be a truly global university benefiting society as a whole

ACE Mission

To develop an environment in which our people are inspired to be the best and deliver great service to all our students, customers and visitors.

Student accommodation fees

Your rent account on MyEd

The Finance Channel offers access to student’s financial information through the MyEd online portal.

The Finance Channel provides details of invoices relating to both tuition and accommodation fees and charges, which are owed by either students or sponsors.

The channel allows students to view details of outstanding invoices, make payment for outstanding invoices online and view their account history.

Payments received and identified will be allocated to your student fees account normally the next working day. The student number (UUN) should be given as the reference on any payment made. Failure to do this may delay the correct identification of funds received and may cause payment reminders to be sent to you.


Payment Options

It is a condition of accepting your offer of accommodation that you provide the University with an approved payment method. There are several ways of paying for your accommodation depending on how your offer of accommodation is made to you.

1) Self-funded students can pay in full or by instalment

Important timescales to be aware of:

Any changes to your method of payments should be made at least 10 working days before the next payment date. To make alternative arrangements please contact the team.

Please note:

If you are paying your rent by Recurring Credit Card payment, the payment may not show in the Student Finance Channel of MyEd until the 16th/17th of the month. As the payment may not show until this date, the Student Finance Channel may state that you have an overdue payment, please ignore this. If however, this message still appears after the 17th of the month, you should contact our Rent Payment team to discuss the matter.



2. External funded students

You may be entitled to financial support from your government, be funded by a sponsor or have arranged some other form of student loan. Normally you will have to apply for this type of financial help as early as possible and for each year of study – your financial support or sponsor funding provider will provide advice.

Collecting fees

The University expects that funding for accommodation fees and living cost is organised before you start your programme of study.

Student accommodation fees must be paid per your lease’s terms and conditions.

Students who do not pay as expected are considered to have defaulted on their legal obligation and arrears action will be taken. Reminders, sent to University student email account, should not be ignored. Even if you think the reminder has been sent in error please do get in touch with us. All students will be treated with dignity and respect.

If you are receiving financial help from family, friends or similar please ensure they are aware of payment amounts and dates as this will not be considered a reason for delaying payment.

Comments and complaints

Problems can arise without our knowledge, but we welcome the opportunity to put matters right and resolve any complaints in a reasonable and timely manner.

Our commitment is to ensure that every effort is made to resolve matters to your satisfaction as quickly as possible. If you have a complaint, you should in the first instance talk to the Student Credit Manager within the Rent Payment Section.

We promise to send an acknowledgement and to respond fully within five working days. Don’t forget… we cannot respond to anonymous comments and problems; if you can’t tell us who you are and where you live, don’t expect a response!

If you are writing on behalf of a student, please be aware we will need to have their authorisation to speak to you before being able to share any information in accordance with the data protection act.

We aim to resolve issues speedily and at a local level. However, if you wish to pursue the matter further, the University has a formal Complaint Handling Procedure which can be accessed through the link below.


We welcome any ideas you have about making the service we provide better. You can send your suggestions and comments to the Rent Payment team.