Aberystwyth University Wifi
All University Halls of Residence have internet access via a wired Ethernet network socket in every study bedroom as the primary internet connection.
Our wireless network (eduroam) is also available as a secondary connection in many locations: with coverage throughout all University administrative and teaching buildings; Aberglasney, Balmoral, Blaenwen, Brynderw, Caerleon, Carpenter, Ceredigion, Clarendon, Cwrt Mawr, Glyndwr, Lon Hendre, Penbryn, Pentre Jane Morgan, Pumlumon, Rosser, Trefloyne, Ty Gwerin Halls of Residence; the Student Union building and the Arts Centre.
Access to the Student Network is available to registered users at Aberystwyth University.
Your use of the network
Network Access is provided in support of the academic aims of the University. While a limited amount of non-academic use is permitted as a privilege to our users, this has to comply with:
- JANET Acceptable Use Policy
- Information Services Regulations
- Information Services Guidelines on the use of the Aberystwyth University Network
You should familiarise yourself with what these contain.
The Student Network has its own firewall, which works on a default deny basis. However students are able to open ports in the firewall if required to enable programs or applications to run. Details on how this firewall works and how to open ports can be found in our FAQ pages.
Once connected to the Halls Network you will be able to access your University filestore, the Public printers and electronic information resources from your room in halls.
Connecting your computer to the network
To connect your computer to the network you will need:
- to have an Aberystwyth University IT account
- a computer with a network card
- a computer running Windows Vista or later versions, Apple Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) or above, Linux with 802.1x supplicant
Visitors from other academic institutions
- Aberystwyth University participates in the Janet Roaming Service.
- This means that visitors from other participating academic institutions can connect to their own institutions network via Aberystwyth University’s eduroam wireless network while visiting our campus. You can check whether your institution participates in this service on the JANET Roaming Service website
- You should make arrangements to use this service with your home institution BEFORE coming to Aberystwyth University.
All other visitors, conference and event attendees
- Aberystwyth University subscribes to The Cloud wireless service.
- Any visitor to campus who is not able to use eduroam can connect to Wifi Guest (How do I do that?)
- Once logged in you can access the internet.
- You can find help with using this service on The Cloud’s FAQ pages
- This service is available throughout all University teaching and administrative buildings, but not in halls of residence.