Aberystwyth University Library
Aberystwyth benefits from an excellent range of library facilities with three libraries, two on Penglais and one on Llanbadarn, and students and staff are also able to use the enormous research collections of the National Library of Wales.
The Hugh Owen Library on Penglais is open 24-hours 7 days a week during term-times.
The University libraries provide study places for around 1100 students. Study places consist of traditional silent study, open plan areas, computer areas, study carrels and quiet group study areas for student project work.
Hugh Owen Library Opening Hours *
Physical Sciences Library Opening Hours
Thomas Parry Library Opening Hours
Details of computer room opening hours may be found at (AU only) http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/computers/rooms/
* Please note that:
Level F closes 30 minutes before the advertised library closing time (Hugh Owen Library).
Level E closes 15 minutes before the advertised library closing time (Hugh Owen Library).
Information Services: Opening hours and loans over the Easter vacation
Information Services wishes everyone a happy vacation
Information Services (IS) will operate vacation opening hours from Sunday 9th April until Friday 28th April 2017
- Hugh Owen, Thomas Parry & Physical Sciences libraries: Monday to Friday 08:30 – 17:30
- IS and all libraries will be closed from closing time on Thursday 13th April and will re-open on Wednesday 19th April.
- You can find details of computer room opening hours over the Easter vacation here http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/computers/rooms/ (AU only)
- Term-time hours will resume on Saturday 29th April 2017.
- Standard Loan: From Monday 3rd April 2017 until Wednesday 3rd May 2017
- Three Day Loan: From Wednesday 5th April 2017 until Wednesday 3rd May 2017
- Short Loan: usual loan periods apply.
Libraries open on Bank Holiday Mondays in May
On Bank Holiday Mondays, 1 and 29 May, the libraries will be open with a limited staffed service (as offered weekends and evenings) in the Hugh Owen and Thomas Parry libraries.
- Hugh Owen Library: Mon 1 & 29 May 24/7 as usual;
- Thomas Parry Library: Mon 1 & 29 May 7:00-22:00;
- Physical Sciences Library: Mon 1 & 29 May 8:30-19:30;
Hugh Owen library open 24/7 term-time
The Hugh Owen Library is open 24 hours 7 days a week during term-times.
No Aber Card, no access
- All library users are reminded of the need to have their Aber card to access the library and to ensure that they keep their Aber Card with them when they exit.
- The Hugh Owen Library is accessible via swipe access only from 21:00-08:30 during 24-hour opening periods.
- The Thomas Parry Library is accessible via swipe access only from 07:00-08:30 and 18:00-22:00.
- Lost cards should be reported to Information Services immediately.
- Visitors will not be admitted after 21:00 in the Hugh Owen Library during 24-hour opening periods and after 18:00 in the Thomas Parry Library except by prior arrangement.
- During the majority of self-service hours, the Library will be staffed by Campus Services staff, who will be unable to answer library or IT queries or check user records.
- If an error message appears when you scan your Aber Card on the self-issue machines (such as ‘invalid card’), Campus Services staff will not be able to offer assistance. Check your library account online; if your fines total over £5.00, this will prevent you from borrowing or renewing items and you will be given the option to pay these online via credit or debit card. If you have overdue items, this can block your account and these books will need to be returned to the Library before you can borrow or renew other items. See our webpage on loan periods and charges for further details.
- If a book you are carrying triggers a gate alarm, Campus Services staff will call you back. Check your borrowing receipt to make sure your books have been checked out properly; if not, try to check out the item again. If the gate alarm still sounds, you will need to leave the book in question with staff on duty.
- We will make sure that Library printers are filled with paper before Information Services staff leave each day. Printers/copiers that run out of paper or have a printer jam, will not be able to be fixed during self-service hours.
If you are still experiencing problems having followed these steps, please contact a member of Information Services staff during staffed service hours.
- Please be considerate to other users and make sure that your working area is clear and tidy when you use the Library. Make sure you do not leave any personal possessions in the Library when you leave the building as we accept no responsibility for items left unattended.
- During exam term, study space is at a premium. Please use a Library locker to keep your belonging secure and to store books (that are issued to you) if you need to move away from your study space for some time. Your cooperation in sharing study spaces is appreciated.
Food and drink
- Our aim is to work with you to provide a comfortable and quiet environment to study in. For more information of noise and food / drink regulations in the libraries please see http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/library/study-zones/
- Those who disregard these regulations will be asked to leave.
Health and safety
- Welfare: Offering Library 24-hour opening during termtimes means that we can support your studies, whatever hours you keep. However, just because the Library is open for you to use overnight, doesn’t mean that you should study around the clock. Please make sure you take regular breaks and get enough sleep.
- Travelling home at night: If you are leaving the Library late at night, be aware of your personal safety when travelling home.
- Please see our out of hours Student Support Services webpages
Behind the scenes, Library cleaning staff work hard to ensure the Library is a clean and tidy place for you to study in. The majority of cleaning work goes on early in the morning each day. Be aware that cleaning may cause some disruption to users; please be patient as this work is necessary to make the Library a pleasant environment for all members of the University and please be aware of trailing power cables from vacuum cleaners.