Abertay University Logo
History of Abertay University
Founded as the Dundee Technical Institute in 1888, later converted into a centrally funded institution with full degree-awarding powers (including research degrees) from the 1970s onwards. Referred to as an “industrial university” by the Scottish Office as early as 1902, and won the right to use formal university title from 1994.
|Off-campus students (elsewhere in Scotland, in Europe and in Asia)||325|
Our new strategic plan, approved in December 2014 following consultation with staff and students, sets out our ambitions and priorities for the next 5 years. It describes what sort of university we are, and will guide us as we develop as an institution.
- To offer transformational opportunities to everyone who has the ability to benefit from Abertay’s approach to university education.
- To inspire and enable our students, staff and graduates to achieve their full potential.
- To use our knowledge and expertise to have a positive impact on the world around us.
We will do this by
- Choosing our own path, being different if it means we can serve our students, staff, partners, and wider community better.
- Developing new ways to open up study at Abertay by providing a range of routes to an Abertay degree.
- Providing a broad, flexible, responsive and relevant curriculum to prepare students with the knowledge and skills to be successful in the world beyond Abertay.
- Working in partnership with our students, encouraging greater involvement in shaping our policies and practice
- Aligning our teaching, research, innovation and knowledge exchange activity to local and national priorities.
- Encouraging our staff to use their knowledge and expertise to solve real-world problems.
- Investing in high quality infrastructure to provide an environment which will support and inspire our students and staff.
- Developing and sustaining an inclusive and supportive culture, welcoming and retaining students and staff from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- Giving our students a more international experience by increasing the number of international students at Abertay and providing more opportunities for exchanges.
- Being rooted in our community and maintaining close links with key partners in Dundee and beyond.
In everything we do, we will strive to:
- Ensure excellence
- Be innovative
- Be professional
- Be fair, inclusive and transparent
- Provide the best possible student experience
- Demonstrate the highest standards of leadership and governance
- Provide appropriate and high quality facilities
Our ambitions are aligned with five overarching themes:
- choosing our own path
- recognising and developing potential
- expanding horizons
- working in partnership
- making our knowledge accessible