Abertay University Food Nutrition and Health
BSc (Hons) Food, Nutrition & Health
Why choose this course?
- The two-year common core programme allows students to transfer between our degrees at the end of Year 2, in line with career aspirations.
- Work placement in Year 3 provides opportunity to practice skills and test careers.
- It is vocationally relevant, with emphasis throughout on development of practical skills in labs and kitchens as well as academic learning.
- The programme content is influenced by industry contact and close working with FoodInnovation@abertay.ac.uk.
- All programmes meet General Teaching Council requirements as a pre-requisite degree for Home Economics teaching.
If food is your passion, be it nutrition, health or consumer science, then these are the programmes for you. The programmes are aimed to secondary school leavers, entrants from further education colleges and mature students who wish to pursue a career in a food related sector, or Home Economics teaching.
Careers range from roles in the food industry – the fastest growing manufacturing sector in the UK – such as food technologists, quality control and quality assurance managers and hygiene offers. Home economics teachers, nutritionists, community food workers, consumer advice officers and health promotion workers are other areas graduates can pursue careers.
Your graduate CV will be enhanced by your work experience placement and an honours project linked to your area of interest and your chosen career path. Vocationally relevant, you will develop practical skills in laboratories and kitchens, backed up by academic learning. You will be trained by experts in their field, with hands on experience in industry-linked projects in association with FoodInnovation@Abertay (FIA). FIA is a knowledge transfer platform based at Abertay, providing networking between students and the food industry.
On completion of this course, there is the potential to progress to the postgraduate programme, MProf Food & Drink Innovation, which aims to train individuals for careers in the food and drink industry.