Abertay University Dundee
- Founded 1888 as Dundee Technical Institute.
- Described by the Scottish Office in 1902 as one of the nation’s ‘industrial universities’.
- Granted the right to use the formal title of University of Abertay Dundee in 1994.
- Now known as Abertay University.
Location and Transport
- Based in the heart of Dundee, with all buildings on a compact city centre campus.
- Bus and mainline train stations within ten minutes’ walk, offering services to all major cities in Scotland and beyond.
- Airport within 10 minutes’ drive, offering direct flights to London Stansted airport.
- Edinburgh and Aberdeen airports about one hour’s drive away.
- Varies from course to course, usually around BBBB at Higher (CCC at A level), ABBB at Higher (BCC at A level) or AABB at Higher (BBC at A level) depending on degree subjects.
- Admissions information and policy can be found on our website.
The 4,220 students enrolled in the academic year 2014/15 comprise:
Level of study
- Undergraduate 92%
- Postgraduate 8%
Mode of study
- Full Time 90%
- Part Time 10%
- UK 89%
- EU 9%
- Other 2%
- Male 54%
- Female 46%
- Fully modularized course structure allows multiple entry/exit points, including advanced entry for appropriate accredited prior learning.
- An accelerated degree option enabling students to complete a full four-year undergraduate degree inside three years by telescoping the last two years into 15 months. This is offered on seven different programmes across the Abertay portfolio.
- Numerous professional accreditations can be found listed on individual course pages on our website, including Association of International Accountants; Creative Skillset; Sony Playstation First; BCS – the Chartered Institute for IT; Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences, and British Psychological Society.
- Teaching is QAA Scotland ‘UK Quality Assured’.
- One of the most research-intensive modern universities in the UK, as measured by REF2014.
- Overall research scores 18% higher in REF2014 than in the previous survey.
- Overall research quality rated as ‘recognised internationally in terms of originality, significance and rigour’.
- Abertay students are more likely to be taught by academics of international or world-leading quality than in most other universities.
- Find more information on our website.
- Abertay is divided into four academic departments: School of Arts, Media and Computer Games; School of Science, Engineering and Technology; Dundee Business School; and the School of Social and Health Sciences; plus the Abertay Graduate School.
- Strengths include Environmental Science, Computer Games Technology, Computer Arts, Ethical Hacking and Digital Security, Psychology and Forensic Sciences, Food/Health/Nutrition, Sports Science, Business and Management, Energy/Oil and Gas Accounting, and Law.