Abertay University Academic Regulations
Regulations for research degree programmes
1. These regulations are the most important part of the University’s information for research students. They set out requirements and expectations for the University’s research degrees. Further information is available in the Research Student and Supervisor Handbook and on the University web pages, but in all cases these regulations take precedence.
2. Students who are admitted to the University should complete registration prior to the start date specified in their offer letter. Students are not entitled to supervision or access to University facilities until registration has been completed. In all cases, students must have completed registration no later than two weeks after the specified start date.
3. The University reserves the right to withdraw the registration of students who have failed to disclose relevant information, or who have presented misleading or false information, in applying for a programme of study. The University also reserves the right to decline or withdraw the registration of students who do not hold the appropriate immigration status, or who fail to comply with the conditions of their visa.
4. Research degree students will abide by the principles of good research practice, as set out by the University in the Research Student and Supervisor Handbook and the Research Code of Conduct.
5. Students must register at the start of each subsequent year of their programme, unless suspension of studies has been approved in advance. In order to be eligible to register in subsequent years, students must have complied with the progression requirements of their programme.
6. Fees will be paid in accordance with the published schedule of fees which are set on the basis that students will pay the relevant fee (and any associated bench fees) for the expected period of study appropriate to the student’s mode of registration and target exit award. Should studies continue beyond this period, a registration fee will be charged.
7. Where a student submits a thesis before the end of the normal period of study, they must make arrangements to pay any balance of fees owing for the normal period of study before they may graduate.
8. A student may be permitted to transfer registration from a research degree programme at another recognised higher education institution in order to enter the MPhil or PhD programme at the University of Abertay. Such requests will be considered by the Research Degrees Sub-Committee, and where granted will be specified as completed years of full-time study, to allow entry with advanced standing to a specified stage of a programme.